Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Poems for Healing: The Messenger

The Messenger was written many years ago to provide a bit of solace and soothing words for a family friend and patient, both of whom had recently lost their spouses.

I decided to share the healing poem, The Messenger since it has been used as a remembrance poem by so many people in newpapers, brochures, online and at funeral services.

The Messenger

From an Angel on high
a tender message of love was softly whispered into the ear
of this humble scribe....
    Weep not for me
    now that I have passed.
    Remember the laughter, the affection
    and the joy
    not just the recent tears.
    Cherish the memories,
    our hopes and dreams.
    Hold fast to the love that we shared.
    Be happy with the time we spent together
    and being anew.
    For I am not really gone,
    I am closer than ever before.

    As the morning sun rises
    and throughout the busy day...I am with you.
    Until the setting sun disappears on the horizon
    and we watch the day turn into night...I am here.
    You may feel a faint breeze stir round your head, while you slumber
    as I gently kiss your forehead, "Good night."
    The stars that shine so brightly in my heavenly sky
    help me watch over you and keep you from harm.

    I am the wind in the trees
    and the song of a bird.
    I am moonbeams in a midnight sky
    and a glorious rainbow after the storm.
    I am morning dew
    and freshly-fallen snow.
    I am a butterfly flying overhead
    and a puppy happily at play.
    I am a smile on a stranger's face
    a gentle touch
    a warm embrace.

    Listen to the wind for my message of love.
    Watch the sun rise and set in the sky with me.
    Feel my essence encircle you with warm memories.
    Open your heart to know...I am not gone.
    Reach deep into your soul...You will find me.
    I am here.
    Have no fear.
    I am with you,
    Always.
© 1998 Kirsti A. Dyer
(Angel scribe)


More about Journey of Hearts Poetry
I am always a bit surprised when I go searching for some of the healing poems that I wrote and included in the early days of the Journey of Hearts site.

My poems (The Messenger and In Memory of You) show up on many spontaneous bereavement sites from those whose deaths were not major news events to those whose deaths were major news events like 9-11, Laci Patterson and Michael Jackson. Unfortunately the poems are often unattributed to "Anonymous" and do not include a reference to the Journey of Hearts website.

The poem seems to have sprouted wings and flies around the Internet spreading healing words. By reposting a newer version of The Messenger online, I am hopeful that people will find the version of The Messenger and correctly link to the blog or the Journey of Hearts site.

More on Poetry on the Grief, Loss & Transitions Blog
Dyer K. Words to Comfort - In Memory of You July 2007. Grief, Loss & Bereavement Blog.
Dyer K. Poetry - To Help You Make it Through. August 2007. Grief, Loss & Bereavement Blog.

Image: Asafesh. Ink Pot. Royalty Free Use.